Implant-Retained Dentures – Medford, NY
Restoring Your Smile after Tooth Loss
After you’ve suffered severe or total tooth loss, getting your smile back completely can seem impossible. But at Island Daily Dental Care, we offer implant-retained dentures, a solution that gives you all the benefits of dental implants with the potential convenience of dentures. Our experts can create a personalized treatment plan to restore your missing teeth from the root up, giving you back the confidence you deserve.
How do implant-retained dentures work?
Dentures alone have to use suction or adhesives to stay in place. Instead of simply resting on top of your gums, your dentures can be attached to just a few dental implants placed throughout your arch. Rather than topping your dental implants with dental crowns, we can keep your dentures perfectly in place.
Am I a candidate for implant-retained dentures?
Several factors contribute to your eligibility for implant-retained dentures, but these are the most important:
- You must be in good oral health.
- You must have sufficient jaw bone density and strength.
If you don’t meet these criteria, your chances of success with dental implants are significantly reduced. However, we may be able to provide treatment solutions to get you into a better position for dental implants. Ultimately, the best way to know whether you qualify for implant-retained dentures is to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dentists. They can thoroughly evaluate your mouth and determine whether dental implants would be a good fit for you.
What is the procedure for getting implant-retained dentures?
Although it requires several months, the process of getting implant-retained dentures is worth it! The first step consists of your consultation with us. We’ll review the specific steps in the procedure and help you prepare for the highest chances of success. In general, these are the steps we follow:
- We’ll place four to six posts into your gums through a surgical procedure.
- Over the course of a few months, your gums will heal, and your jaw bone will grow to surround the posts.
- Once this process (called osteointegration) is complete, we’ll attach abutments, or the pieces that connect the posts to the dentures.
- Finally, we will either snap your dentures into place or bolt them down, according to your preference.
What are the benefits of combining dentures and dental implants?
By having dental implants to support your dentures, you gain many advantages over having dentures alone. Here are some of the benefits of anchoring your dentures to dental implants:
- Improved oral health and aesthetics. With implant retained dentures, your jaw bone stays stimulated, strong, and healthy, allowing you to keep your youthful facial shape for longer.
- Increased stability. Dentures are notorious for slipping out of place, often at the worst times! With your dentures attached to dental implants, you don’t have to worry about this happening to you.
- Stronger biting force. Dentures on their own drastically reduce your ability to chew nutritious foods. Implants help you bite and chew just as you did with your natural teeth.
- Better overall health. Research has found that those who replace their missing teeth with dentures alone have a shorter life expectancy by 10 years.
To get started with implant-retained dentures, contact our office for a consultation. Our team is excited to help you regain confidence in your smile!