6 Tips for Wisdom Tooth Extraction Recovery
October 20, 2020
Every single year, five million people have their wisdom teeth removed in the United States. This is because they often don’t have enough room to grow properly and can cause issues. Even though no extraction is a pleasant experience, by following your dentist’s instructions, you will be able to bounce back in no time. Continue reading to learn more about the duration of wisdom tooth recovery as well as some helpful tips to make the process go smoothly.
How Long Does Wisdom Tooth Recovery Take?
It can take up to two weeks for you to fully recover after having your wisdom teeth extracted. Over the first 24 hours, blood clots will form, and the healing process commences. For the next 2 to 3 days, you can expect the swelling in the mouth to improve. During the second week, stiffness, soreness, and mild bruising should fade away. At this time, most patients can go on how they would normally.
Tips for Quick Wisdom Tooth Recovery
By following these tips and the instructions of your dentist, you can help your mouth to heal properly and quickly:
- Bite Down on Gauze: Your dentist is likely to ask you to bite down on a gauze pad in order to slow down and stop the bleeding in the extraction sight. This helps to form blood clasts faster so you can begin the recovery process.
- Use a Cold Compress: Using ice on the cheek can help to ease the bruising and swelling that could follow your surgery. Apply ice to the side of the extraction site for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take Pain Medication: Take pain medication as your dentist instructs. You may also need to take antibiotics to prevent infections from occurring during the healing process.
- Eat Soft Foods: Sticking to a soft, nutritious diet is key after you get your wisdom teeth removed. This will allow for your body to heal faster. Great options are soups, broth, mashed veggies, avocados, and Jell-O.
- Keep Your Smile Clean: Be very gentle when brushing your teeth and around the area where your tooth was extracted. Instead, use warm salt water to rinse your mouth after meals.
- Get Plenty of Rest: Your body will heal faster is you get at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.
While you may not be looking forward to your wisdom tooth extraction, by taking it easy for a few days and using the tips listed above, you will be on a short, easy path to recovery.
About the Practice
At East Islip Dental Care, you have eight skilled dentists providing quality care to patients in East Islip, NY. With so many countless skillsets and talents, patients can get anything they need at one convenient location. For more information on wisdom tooth extractions or to schedule an appointment, visit their website or call (631) 581-8600.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.